These are very challenging times for children and families. The coronavirus pandemic has disrupted the life of every child and family, children might not understand the reasons for school closures, not being able to go to the park and why they cannot hug or spend time with a friend or grandparent.
They may also sense the anxiety that parents are feeling, and be concerned about their health and that of others. We understand the challenges that many families are facing balancing working from home, financial stressors and importance of self care during this time.
The Stonegate CHC continues to be committed to supporting the mental health and well-being of all children and families through this crisis. To stay connected with you we have created a family programs facebook page and are livestreaming EarlyON programs, posting resources and activities for children of all ages. Join us on Wednesday and Friday mornings of each week at 10:00 am to participate in a song circle and/or activity focused on children 0 to 6 years of age and their caregiver.
We are exploring ways to stay in touch and reach out to families and children of all ages. If you have ideas of activities we can facilitate to support you and your family email us at Health.Promotion@stonegatechc.org we would love to hear from you.
Child & Youth
During this time of change, it is extremely important to create new routines and find creative ways to stay connected with family members, friends and social communities.
To stay connected we have created a child and youth programs facebook page. Our hope is that this age will provide an opportunity to connect with children and youth by posting fun activities, resources for both children and parents.
We are exploring ways to stay in touch and reach out to families and children of all ages. If you have ideas of activities we can facilitate to support you and your family email us at email@example.com we would love to hear from you.
Many Stonegate community members are alumni or participants of the Food Fit Program; a 12-week healthy lifestyle program for people living on low incomes who experience barriers around healthy eating and physical activity but who are motivated to make lasting changes to their health.
We are especially aware of the increasingly complex food environment during the corona virus pandemic. Barriers to healthy eating are bigger and more challenging as our lives have been disrupted in a magnitude of ways.
Food Fit’s approach is to meet people where they’re at. We recognize and strive to meet the needs of community members in ways that are relevant to their circumstances. This continues to be our focus during this time of social distancing and isolation. In response, we have created a Food Fit Facebook page for alumni and participants. This private group allows for members to receive support from our facilitator through online connection, sharing recipes, food pictures, shopping and grocery tips, exercise videos, budgeting, and motivation tips. We are live streaming a cooking demo every Thursday in replace of the in-classroom program.
If you are a Food Fit Alumni and want to join the Facebook group please contact the Food Fit Facilitator and Registered Dietitian Stephanie Cullen-Conroy at (416) 231-7070. If you are interested in joining Food Fit in the future you can add your name to the waitlist by calling (416) 231-7070 ext. 231.
Food Skills for Life
Group Cooking and Healthy Eating Program Online with registered dietitian Stephanie Cullen-Conroy. Must have the following to participate: reliable internet connection and email address; computer or lap top with a working microphone and camera; private and quiet work space (e.g. kitchen).
Space is limited: Inquire for a spot by calling 416-231-7070 ext. 307 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org (attention: Stephanie)
Nutrition Based Workshops
Please see our online calendar for more dates and information about other nutrition based workshops or sesssions held at Stonegate CHC by our dietitians. Upcoming sessions in August and September on zoom include:
- Cooking with Garden Herbs
- Freezing Produce
- Preserving Green Tomatoes
- Jam Making
Besides offering telephone or OTN virtual appointments with our mental health counsellors, we are also offering a new therapy group, "Learn & Grow." This is a 5-week CBT-101 group program, designed for persons who are struggling with depression and anxiety-related issues. The group runs on Wednesdays for 4 weeks starting June 3rd. For more information, please visit the following link.
Online Mindful Meditation is also being offered weekly on Tuesdays from 10:30 - 11:30, for more information please see the poster.
Virtual Seniors Group
Seniors and older adults are invited to join us for a variety of activities through your computer, tablet, or phone! During this time of physical distancing, we can all use more ways to make connections. Everyone is welcome to join in on the fun! Activities include informative and motivational chats, gentle exercise, cooking demos, virtual trips, self care, and more. Meetings are offered on a weekly basis via Zoom, for more information please see the poster and email us at email@example.com
Spanish Group - Grupo Hispano
Participants of the Spanish group have the opportunity to connect virtually to share, learn and enjoy a variety of activities through Zoom. Group meets weekly and activities include relaxation sessions, cooking demos, recipes exchanges, arts & crafts, self care and much more all activities in a Spanish speaking environment. For more information, see poster and email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zoom Yoga classes with Lisa Jansen via zoom on Wednesdays at 10:00 am. If you are interested in participating, please contact: email@example.com for details.
- Online Qi Gong classes are offered on Thursdays from 10:00 - 11:00 am. If you are interested in participating, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details. Please see the following links for past recorded classes: June 25, 2020 & Qi Gong Outdoors with Nataliya
- A session by Leila, who usually facilitates the 'Friday Yoga and Meditation' at Stonegate CHC can be found here
- Anny leads us through a dance workout similar to her Thursday morning classes at Stonegate CHC
- Some simple chair-based exercises you can do to stay active during the COVID-19 pandemic and to make the most of having to stay inside, while building healthy habits too. Please see video link as well as instructions.
- Foodfit exercise videos
Gardening season has started and thanks to City of Toronto permission, we are just about to open the Bell Manor Community Garden for our gardeners to enjoy the season. We have created a Bell Manor Community Gardeners facebook page for members of the garden. This private group allows for members to receive support from our facilitator through online connection, sharing gardening tips, and photos, and inspiration around planting.
Gardening Info Sessions & Workshops
- Eco-Gardening Information Session with Carolin Taron can be found at the following link to our YouTube channel
- Seasonal Cultivating Info Session with Carolin Taron on our YouTube channel
- Please see the poster for more information on the Virtual Prediabetes Group. A client does need an e-mail address in order to participate.
Arthritis Society Programming
A Registered Occupational Therapist from the Arthritis Society will continue to provide you with individualized consultation. Virtual care will be delivered by whatever method works best for you, telephone, email and/or personal video. Group education programs are also available virtually for registered patients. Call 1.800.321.1433 ext. 3381 to make an appointment.
The following are also upcoming virtual workshops:
- Stay active: Living well with hip and knee osteoarthritis
- How to get a better sleep
- Introduction to Mindfulness Meditation for those living with Arthritis
- Taking Charge of your Inflammatory Arthritis
Choose Health is a Toronto Central regional initiative led by South Riverdale Community Health Centre. They offer programs for community members living with long term health concerns, their caregivers, as well as their health care providers. Stonegate CHC has worked in partnership with Choose Health to deliver Chronic Pain Management programs at our centre. Due to COVID-19 they have made their programs online for more information and to register for a program click the link on the following link. Programs include:
- Mindfulness focused Art Gallery of Ontario tours, offered weekly between 11:00 am - 12:00 pm, and Virtual Community Film Screenings, twice a week (Monday & Friday between 3:00 - 4:00 pm): open sessions to be found here
- Virtual Group Program for Careivers: Powerful Tools for Caregivers starts May 19th, please register by clicking on the link